Scheduling regular office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Typically all offices are closed for major holidays. After-hour emergency calls are handled by on-call staff. Patients are seen by appointment which can usually be scheduled within two days.
If you are a first-time patient with a doctor’s referral, we will have your medical records from your doctor’s office. If you are a first-time self-referral patient, we ask that you please bring copies of any relevant medical records with you as well as insurance information and any necessary physician referrals. If you have any questions, please call the Patient Representative at the clinic where you will be treated. Before your first visit, you should receive a letter from our office along with a map to the clinic where you will be seen and a copy of your appointment schedule. Upon your arrival, one of our Patient Representatives will conduct a brief 10-minute interview to finalize any information that we will need for our files.
In order to make your first visit to our office as pleasant as possible and for us to concentrate on caring for your medical needs, we ask that you bring the following items to your first visit:
- Insurance Card(s)
- Co-payment (if applicable) Method of Payment - Visa/MasterCard/Check/Cash
- A list of your current prescription medicines
You may also download and print the following forms and complete these at home and bring to our office to save time in the waiting room:
We look forward to seeing you at your visit. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your physician’s office or Joyce Jones, Senior Patient Service Representative, at (901) 383-5570.
We encourage all of our patients and their caregivers to call with any questions concerning care. Calls about prescription refills and other routine health concerns should be placed during office hours, Monday through Friday. If your questions cannot be answered by one of our nurses, lab, or other office staff, a physician will return your phone call as soon as possible. Please call 1-866-448-2224.
If you are having a life-threatening emergency, call 911 immediately. If you need emergency care during office hours, call the Boston Baskin Cancer Foundation right away. Tell the person answering the phone that it is an emergency so that the nurse or doctor can evaluate your situation. If you call 911, an ambulance will take you to the nearest emergency room. Inform the emergency room staff that the doctors at the BBCF are treating you. The emergency room doctor will contact us and update us on your situation.
We believe that the more you know about your illness, the better prepared you will be to care for yourself. Education can help you and your loved ones ease fears and uncertainty and have a better understanding of what to expect. Please talk with your doctor and nurses about services we provide.
In order to meet the needs of our patients, we are enrolled in a large number of managed care insurance programs, TennCare, and Medicare. “Managed care” means that your health insurance company may require you to be treated by specific physicians or hospitals. Please contact a Patient Representative at (901) 761-8940 if you need verification of your insurance.
Medicare Part A pays for hospitalization. Medicare Part B generally pays for chemotherapy in the office and doctors’ visits. Being a Medicare beneficiary does not guarantee that Medicare covers all of your medicines, chemotherapy, or care.
If you are enrolled in Medicare, we must by law attempt to collect your co-insurance. Medicare has a fee schedule that we must follow. Medicare reimburses 80 percent of the allowed amount to the UT Cancer Institute and expects you to pay the other 20 percent.
Please read through all of your insurance benefits information carefully. You will find instructions on how to obtain treatment that complies with your plan. Some plans require referrals from your Primary Care Physician (PCP) before you can seek the treatment of a specialist, which is what the doctors at the Boston Baskin Cancer Foundation would be considered. If it’s required by your plan, you may need to pay a co-payment at the time you receive services. This amount varies by insurance company, the type of plan, and the services you are receiving.
As part of our service to you, we will get referral numbers and prior approval for all services ordered by the doctors, as required by your insurance plan. Your Primary Care Physician or other referring doctor will be updated on your condition. If you have any questions regarding insurance, billing, or other financial issues, please call (901) 761-8940 and ask for the Business Office.
As a patient at the Boston Baskin Cancer Foundation, we want you to understand your rights regarding your healthcare. These rights are fully endorsed by the Foundation and provide you with the highest level of quality and safety.