Gragory Franz, MD, FACP
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE:
ABIM Board Certifications:
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Active State Medical Licenses, OH 5/2003, TN 4/2005, NY 5/2005, GA 4/2008, FL 6/2010
- University of Tennessee, Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship. Memphis, TN 7/2005 – 6/2008
- Kettering Hospital/ Wright State University, Internal Medicine Residency, Kettering, OH, 6/2002 – 1/2005
- James Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Clinical Assistant, Columbus, OH, 1/2002 – 6/2002
- St. Vincent’s Hospital: Radiology Residency. New York, NY, 7/2001 – 12/2001
- New York Hospital Queens: Cornell University Program, Transitional Internship, Queens, NY, 6/2000 – 6/2001
- University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY, 8/1996 – 5/2000. MD 5/2000
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 6/1993 – 6/1996, BA, Anthropology, Summa cum Laude & Phi Beta Kappa, 6/1996
- Meadows Regional Cancer Center, Director of Cancer Center and Attending Physician in Hematology and Medical Oncology, Vidalia, GA, 7/2008 – Present
- Mid-South Cancer Center, Physician, Memphis, TN, 8/2006 – 3/2008
- University of Tennessee Cancer Institute, Physician, Memphis, TN, 3/2006 – 6/2008
- Life Blood Biologic Services, Physician and Research Investigator, Memphis, TN, 12/2005 – 6/2008
- VAMC, AMOD- Physician, Memphis, TN, 8/2005 – 6/2008
- VAMC, AMOD- Physician, Dayton, OH, 10/2004 – 6/2005
- Kindred Hospital, Physician, Dayton, OH, 10/2004 – 6/2005
- Miami Valley Urgent Care, Physician, Dayton, OH, 5/2003 – 6/2005
- Myelodysplasia after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Multiple Myeloma
Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts), Nov. 2006; 108: 5329. Gregory Franz, Brian McClune, Francis Buadi, William Walsh, Frank White, and Donna Przepiorka.
- Myelodysplasia Syndrome after Autologous Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation for Multiple Myeloma.
Bone Marrow Transplant: Vol. 40, Issue 8 (Oct. (2), 2007); pp. 759-764
D Przepiorka, F Buadi, B McClune, G Franz, W Walsh, and F White
- Patterns of PET/CT scan use in patients with advanced Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl: abstr 19112). G Franz, I Kronish, R Osarogiagoban; L Thompson; M Jahanzeb. The University of Tennessee Cancer Institute (UTCI)
I have mentored 2 undergraduates from Georgia Southern University applying for medical school for the past 2-1/2 years. I have allowed them to shadow me in my office.
I have also allowed medical students (Mercer School of Medicine) to shadow me in my office.
I have given several lectures to my community with regards to cancer epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment.
I have given an annual lecture as a part of the youth advisory board on the topic of cancer biology and chemotherapy to high achieving graduating high school students for the past three years to help encourage them for a career in medicine.
I have several scientific publications. Two were on the topic of myelodysplastic syndrome (M.D.S.) and multiple myeloma and one was on the topic of the use of PET scans in patients with Non- Small Cell Lung Cancer.
I regularly refer my patients for clinical trials at MCG, Emory, and MD Anderson.
I have played a key role with these academic centers in helping my patient’s choose a clinical trial as their best treatment plan.
Served as a member of the peer review committee for my hospital for the past two years. As part of this role, I have helped implement various best practice standards for my hospital system.
I have served as a medical director of a local hospice for 2-1/2 years. I’m the only ABIM board certified hospice and palliative medicine physician in my region of southeast Georgia.
I have earned several hundred hours of CME credit over the past 3+ years. The majority of these hours were earned from UPTODATE, Med Study, ASH-SAP and ASCO-SEP in preparation for my internal medicine, hematology, and medical oncology boards respectively.
I have attended the National ACP meeting in New Orleans in 2004. I have also purchased and utilized several of the MKSAP board preparation aids (MKSAP 14 modules, MKSAP image book, MKSAP prep for the boards, MKSAP 14 audio companion, and MKSAP board review practice questions) to prepare for my internal medicine boards and keep me up to date on Internal Medicine topics.
I have been a full ACP member in good standing since July 2008. Prior to this I was an associate member since July of 2002.